For your reading pleasure.
Y’all seem to hate it when I use the f-word. And yet, here it is. With the exception of #3 (surveillance state), this is a classic Fascist platform. I especially dig the “timeless norms.”
Note, please, that I think they are A-1 super ideas. They are also completely outside the realm of the American constitutional system as it has developed in these last 50-100 years. None of them could possibly be accomplished, at this late date, without significant bloodshed.
Again: I think these are great ideas. The first step in the dissolution of the United States was eliminating property qualifications for voting, way back when. The US was never intended to be a mass democracy — “democracy,” as the Founders understood it, meant mob rule. That’s what Mussolini was getting at, here:
Fascism is for the only liberty which can be a serious thing, the liberty of the state and of the individual in the state. Therefore for the fascist, everything is in the state, and no human or spiritual thing exists, or has any sort of value, outside the state. In this sense fascism is totalitarian, and the fascist state which is the synthesis and unity of every value, interprets, develops and strengthens the entire life of the people.
And that’s what Roissy is getting at here:
Strip wealthy oligarchs of their power over policy and the composition of the nation’s citizens. Tariffs, big tax increases on the 0.1%, improved government oversight of their backroom dealings, very high minimum wages, and laws designed to limit the ability of the super wealthy to lobby for cheap labor
I don’t want to live in a surveillance state; I want to live in a cohesive society with high trust levels that obviates the need for mass surveillance
and especially here:
Press the point that individual rights will wilt without societal norms to scaffold them.
How is such a high-trust society to be achieved, given modern technology? How can the monitoring apparatus that keeps the 0.1% on such a tight leash not be turned on the citizenry?
Only if all is folded into the state — the national state, the ethnic state. In a low-tech world, such as America c.1787-1860, this monitoring could occur at the local level, among essentially homogenous populations which were closely bonded either by religion and custom (the settled regions east of the Mississippi) or by the self-organizing near-anarchy of a universally armed entrepreneurs (the Wild West). Likeminded people monitored each other.
In a techno-industrial age, though, there’s only one way to go, and that’s up. Centralize. The state itself must be the arbiter of cultural values. They must be imposed top-down, and ruthlessly policed by the state. That’s why organizations like the Hitler Youth and the Bund Deutscher Madel were compulsory.
You need what Mussolini described as his ideal: A benign police state, basically.
Again, y’all: People want this. Many, many people. And at some point, some charismatic someone will realize that if 5% (at most) of the population can use the state to terrorize the other 95%, and enforce their will through lawfare…. well, the sky’s the limit if just 6% of the remaining 95% ever get organized. We’re seeing the first stirrings of it now, with GamerGate and Sad Puppies. Silly as those are, they’re hammering home one vital point — the total number of SJWs is actually quite small, yet they wield disproportionate influence. They look like us, they sound like us, they claim to be one of us… but they are not us. They are implacably hostile to us. They want nothing more than our downfall. Could they not be… purged?
When I say Fascism is coming, y’all, this is what I mean. Y’all think Hitler and the History Channel. I think Mussolini and Tojo. As with Our Betters, the liberals, so with any historical movement — look at what they do, not what they say. 1930s-style Fascism looked like comic opera, so we dismiss the ideas behind it. They lost the war, we think, so therefore they are Losers, and their ideas aren’t worth considering.
Their ideas had broad appeal. As proof, I offer the millions of people who died fighting for them. We’d best think very fucking carefully about that. Because those ideas are still around, and their appeal is waxing stronger by the day.Loading Likes...