I’ve only seen it once, but I recognize a cut and paste talking points memo when I see one. This one was in the comments section of a facebook post. And said post ironically was about how most of us really don’t want to hurt each other and how that is a good thing. But it devolved from there, and an Obama-bot posted
OBAMA’S 50 GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS
I didn’t spend THAT much time on it, but … did a quick-fisk. They’re not all bad. Most of them are pretty mundane. “GREAT” … not so much. So here they are. My comments in italics.
1. Passed Health Care Reform:
A monster of an expensive, massively intrusive trojan horse regulatory nightmare that encourages people not to hire or hire full-time, and that over 50% of the people don’t want.
2. Passed the Stimulus:
Spent yet more money that we don’t have and got nothing in return but a big bill for our children and grandchildren
3. Passed Wall Street Reform:
How reformed is Wall Street really?
4. Ended the War in Iraq:
Because it wouldn’t have ended without him.
5. Began Drawdown of War in Afghanistan
Again, all part of the plan before he got there.
6. Eliminated Osama bin laden
Using intelligence he campaigned against.
7. Turned Around U.S. Auto Industry:
Ford did fine without bailout money. What he did was bail out UAW’s unaffordable benefits plans.
8. Recapitalized Banks:
Bailed them out.
9. Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”:
10. Toppled Moammar Gaddafi
Um … I think the Libyans had a bit more to do with that than we’re giving them credit for here
11. Told Mubarak to Go:
And look what that got us.
12. Reversed Bush Torture Policies:
But claimed credit for the eventual fruit of the two actual cases of waterboarding.
13. Improved America’s Image Abroad:
Laughable! The whole world is laughing at us.
14. Kicked Banks Out of Federal Student Loan Program, Expanded Pell Grant Spending:
And this is good why?
15. Created Race to the Top:
More money ostensibly thrown at education that may be well-meaning, but will, in the end, likely have the same kind of result that tripling what we spend on each student since 1970 has. Which is, pretty much nothing. The only thing that’s racing to the top is the amount of money we’re spending.
16. Boosted Fuel Efficiency Standards:
Unfunded demands on the economy, raising costs for consumers
17. Coordinated International Response to Financial Crisis:
Spend huge sums of money we don’t have expanding government more
18. Passed Mini Stimuli:
So he gets credit for doing the same stupid thing twice. Nice.
19. Began Asia “Pivot”
What the hell does that even mean?
(update: apparently it means we’re “pressuring China” on civil rights. Because 1) “Pivot” sounds cooler, and this Lakoffian administration certainly couldn’t just come out and say what it means on anything, like who we’re pressuring and on what … and 2) of course NO president has ever pressured China on civil rights before. EVAH!!!!)
20. Increased Support for Veterans:
Golf clap for whatever this might be referring to.
21. Tightened Sanctions on Iran
Which are having what effect?
22. Created Conditions to Begin Closing Dirtiest Power Plants:
Had a meeting to plan meetings to talk about a series of meetings to begin …
23. Passed Credit Card Reforms:
We keep using that word “passed” … as if the President “passes” anything. Congress “passes” things.
24. Eliminated Catch-22 in Pay Equality Laws:
Golf clap. Not that the federal government should have anything to say about compensation outside of what it pays its own employees.
25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court:
Which is awesome, if you’re a liberal bent on Fundamental Transformation. Yes, honey, I love you so much that I want to change you into someone fundamentally different that who you are.
26. Improved Food Safety System:
Golf clap. I know, people were dropping like flies from our unsafe “food system”
27. Achieved New START Treaty
Whose terms were in dispute before the ink dried. Basically, it says if Russia doesn’t like how much anti-nuclear missile defense we develop, it reserves the right to pull out. Quite ambiguous, arbitrary — not much of a treaty.
28. Expanded National Service:
More government programs to spend money on. Government-funded community organizing.
29. Expanded Wilderness and Watershed Protection:
I like those things. But in politics, and especially with this guy (he’s turned it up to 11) — things aren’t always what they say they are. Hopefully it’s not too draconian on property rights. If we’re talking about harmful amounts of pollution, everybody’s for a clean environment.
30. Gave the FDA Power to Regulate Tobacco:
Truly a great accomplishment. I mean, wow. </sarcasm>
31. Pushed Federal Agencies to Be Green Leaders
Sounds great. What does it mean? And how much did THIS cost us?
32. Passed Fair Sentencing Act:
Reduced penalties for crack possession. Ok, that’s fine.
33. Trimmed and Reoriented Missile Defense:
Reoriented? That could mean lots of things.
34. Began Post-Post-9/11 Military Builddown:
I assume this means post Iraq/Afghanistan war build down. Well good job, then.
35. Let Space Shuttle Die and Killed Planned Moon Mission:
Changed the once great NASA to MASA … Muslim Appreciation Social Administration
36. Invested Heavily in Renewable Technology:
And lost our shirts in the process, gaining us … nothing.
37. Crafting Next-Generation School Tests
Seriously? Crafted? Personally? My my, this man is talented.
38. Cracked Down on Bad For-Profit Colleges:
Because profit is bad, and there’s no way the market could take care of this dangerous scourge.
39. Improved School Nutrition:
40. Expanded Hate Crimes Protections
All crimes are essentially hate crimes. Crimes are actions. The actions are punishable. Motives should not be punishable.
41. Avoided Scandal:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fast & Furious, Bengazi, IRS, Journalist wire-tapping, Solyndra, New Black Panther voter-intimidation dismissal, Pigford ….
42. Brokered Agreement for Speedy Compensation to Victims of Gulf Oil Spill:
Well that is part of the job of the exective branch, good for him for faithfully executing this as he swore to do.
43. Created Recovery.gov:
Really, we are definitely scrounging for “Great Accomplishments” here, aren’t we?
44. Pushed Broadband Coverage:
Which government has no business pushing.
45. Expanded Health Coverage for Children.
Ah, that’s that Affordable Health Care trojan horse again
46. Recognized the Dangers of Carbon Dioxide
Signed on to the religion of Anthropogenic Global Warming, despite the mounting evidence that it is overblown at best, and even the IPCC recognizes there’s not much would be able to do to even slow it significantly without slashing the world’s standard of living by 80% – and it’s 50 times more expensive to TRY to stop it than it would be to adjust to and deal with any warming.
47. Expanded Stem Cell Research
Meaning providing government FUNDING for EMBRYONIC stem cell research, I assume. Meaning the government will fund research using babies killed by abortion.
48. Provided Payment to Wronged Minority Farmers:
Another racially determined government cash cow for cronies to abuse. See “Pigford Scandal”
49. Helped South Sudan Declare Independence:
Really? They somehow couldn’t form the words themselves? “Two words. First word. Sounds like ‘eclair’ …. “
50. Killed the F-22:
That might be a good thing. It did seem a bit Industrial Military Complexy. On the other hand, if development were finished on it under Obama, it would likely show up here as a “Great Accomplishment”. Cause that’s how they roll.